Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Orphan Years: What Made it a Success?


The joy in this orphan's life smiled deep into my heart.
Orphan years can be crisis years. The vulnerability and uncertainty can take a wrong turn and bring untold misery to the orphaned child.
I was orphaned at the age of fourteen and I can't master the words to describe the loss. I was at a crisis age struggling with my identity, my sexuality, my role as a man and many other issues boys grapple with at this critical stage of life. I was lost with the loss of my mother: the only parent my life ever knew.

But there's one interesting thing about my orphan years; it was a joy unlike the case with many other orphans in the world. I had an opportunity to attend school, live and interract in a christian atmosphere and had something to warm my stomach and back like other children with both parents. These opportunities allowed me to dream with my head, heart and hands. This means; my head was filled with wisdom and knowledge, my heart saturated with passion and purpose and my hands equiped with servant leadership.

But what is it that ensured a successful orphan years? It is because of caring, loving and compasssionate people who understood the heart of God for orphans.

"When you are harvesting in your field and you overlook a sheaf, do not go back to get it. Leave it for the alien, the fatherless and the widow, so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.When you beat the olives from your trees, do not go over the branches a second time. Leave what remains for the alien, the fatherless and the widow.When you harvest the grapes in your vineyard, do not go over the vines again. Leave what remains for the alien, the fatherless and the widow." Deut. 24:19-22.

God never fails on his promises: its only humans who fail to obey and follow his decrees.

You can put a smile on an orphan by helping them experience joy instead of pain and agony during these crisis years.  My prayer is that as you budget you'll leave something for the aliens, the fatherless and the widow.

Don't harvest everything, leave something behind  and put a smile on an orphan's life today.

4 comments:

  1. This made me smile... and I'm sure you know which part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the story of my life. Surely God loves us n thanks to Compassion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jimmy. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am touched.Truly one way of sharing God's heart is through caring for the orphaned and widowed in the society.

    ReplyDelete