Monday, August 2, 2010

Article on Haiti Censored

At the Clinton's Presidential Library in  Arkansas
Ten days ago, I was able to visit Haiti and got to see a child I sponsor through Compassion International, a non-profit organization combating poverty through Child development. Other than that, I was looking forward to visit this country that I first heard about on bbc radio when I was 12 years of age and developed interest in. For some strange reasons, I loved Haiti despite its terrible political history. It became my childhood dream to visit Haiti and so when the plane touched down in Port-au-Prince, the Capital, I felt like an exile returning home.
Well, on return I wrote an article to capture what I saw, what I smelled, what I felt, what I tasted and what I touched but God has held my finger from pushing the 'post' button.
Everyday since then, I have been editing the story and editing and editing but never pushing the submit button. This morning, I edited further but just before I closed on my last thought, God censored it and I am no longer going to post the story.
Instead, God has given me the freedom to write what you are reading right now. He has allowed me to say that my trip to the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere was a learning success.I was able to see the devastated capital, six months after the earthquake. I did not shed a tear but my heart started bleeding.
A day later, I was able to travel south in the department of Sud and took a boat ride to the Ile-a-Vache Island where the child I sponsor lives with her family.
Two days later in the town of Les Cayes, I was able to meet the President of RESPE political Party, Charles Henri Baker, popularly known as "Charlito". He is a presidential candidate for the forthcoming presidential elections in November. Our one-hour discussion exposed me to mind blowing perspective on the poverty of this former-slave country.
I left Haiti feeling an urgent need to return as I learned that the Country and her people need more of the worlds physical presence than the financial support. One idea I put in the mind of Charlito was, if he ever becomes president, he needs to see how to restore the pride of the nation. Haitians needs inspiration to be proud to be Haitians. There is nothing as bad as loosing the fundamental feeling of belonging and identity. Whether in scarcity or plenty, human dignity is an inalienable right, it is sad I saw it elusive from the Haitians.
I am glad, however, that I finally made it to fulfill a childhood dream of setting foot in Haiti. And not only set foot but also share hope with a six-year-old. This is a journey and experience that will remain in my active memory for a long time, probably for lifetime.

4 comments:

  1. Gud,i wld hv luvd 2 read th censored part,did u meet abel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to future posts on Haiti -- will you be writing more?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erick, I did meet Abbel in Port-au-Prince and actually he already moved to the States and we are going to same school in Chicago.

    And Juli, yes, I am. Stay tuned and thank you for visiting the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again,amazing stuff.God is a global God and He calls on us to take His message of hope all across the world.You are blessed of the Lord and you will be more abundantly blessed in future:-)

    ReplyDelete